Brewing in Singapore

One man's adventure of brewing beer in Asia.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Pike Place Brewery - 20 years

A few years back I worked at a little brewery in Seattle (a few years - well, about 20 years ago). It was called the Pike Place Brewery. Each year we would make a Barley Wine for the Holiday season. And each year we would stash away a keg or two for the following year (or two). After I left in 1998 those kegs were ignored by the then brewer. A couple of years ago he left and my friend Drew Cluley took over as the head brewer. One day Drew was doing some cleaning of the hop cooler (where I use to store the kegs of Barley Wine) and guess what he found ? Three kegs of of Old Bawdy Barley Wine from the years that I was brewing there (vintages 1996, 1997 1998). So Pike planned a tasting of these three old vintages and the three new ones drew had brewed. This was all part Pike's celebraton of 20 years of brewing. I happened to be in the USA for a visit home when this event was taking place so I flew on up to Seattle for the tasting. Many of the past Pike Place brewers were in attendance and there were 6 really good Barley wines.

Happy Birthday Pike !

If you want to hear our drunken rambling after 8 or so 9% beers - check the podcast below (I blame it on all the barley wines)

http://www.craftbrewcast.com/

http://www.pikebrewing.com/

2 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Chug Porter said...

Hi Fal,
Dave Morales here. Damn, that sounds yummy. I actually have one bottle each of 96 and 97 in my beer fridge. Maybe someday we can consume them together. I was just thinking of you the other day. I'm writing a country song called, "It makes me mad when you're angry", and I though a haunting harmonica solo would be perfect. Once it's polished out, I'll try to send you an mp3 of it. Actually heading to Seattle next week for a couple days of work. Sure I'll see Drew and hopefully Bill and Dick, too. So many beers.... Hope all is swell. Cheers. Give me a shout at brewerdave2003@yahoo.com

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Christine Jump, craftbrewcast.com said...

Hi Fal, I had a wonderful time drinking Barley wine with all of you brewers. It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home