Brewing in Singapore

One man's adventure of brewing beer in Asia.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Just Like an Erector Set


They will be pouring the second story columns early next week and then the steel roofing beams will be set in place a few days later. Before the new year arrives the brewery will have a roof. And if I learn any more about building the government may press me into service as a contractor. No, really what I don't know about construction could fill a stadium. But I have learned a lot. Things I didn't know about a construction crews life, that I know more about now than I ever imagined I would are: Bore pilings, air handling, security systems, highbay lighting, wiring diagrams, drain layout, service load, slab sloping, rebar, Crain hoist angles, load bearing points, screeting, LUX, AHU, BAS, PID, ASME, GRLWEP, OMG - WTF !! (I really thought that some of these terms meant something completely different - but we won't go into that now)

Meanwhile, on the equipment side, we continue to discuss the relative merits (or lack there of) of the different grades of stainless steel. After much research and discussion we have concluded that the 316 TI is in fact superior to the 316L despite the higher carbon level in 316 TI (but as you may have already surmised the addition of the Titanium in 316 TI binds with that additional carbon and creates and even more corrosion resistant metal, well that and the addition of the Molybdenum, but I don't need to tell you about the Molybdenum in the 316 - right ?). I pity the fools who are still using 304.

Well, all this keeps me on my toes and when it is all said and done I'll know that building and the equipment from the inside out. The learning this job reqiured is one of the main reasons I wanted it and one of the things I enjoy most about it. I just needed to tell somebody about it. Thanks.

2 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

no other home ........brewers etc in singapore? lots of people have been brewing even before it became legal, except some dont feel the need to join a /the club.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Fal Allen said...

Lucy,

So nice of you to check in on my blog. No extra considerations for the brewhouse design. The building had to be built on extra deep pilings because the land out in Tuas (where the brewery is) is all reclaimed land and thus not as stable as it might otherwise be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home