Brewing in Singapore

One man's adventure of brewing beer in Asia.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hot and Spicy

I love food, and drink is not bad either (really drink is just liquid food, they are two sides of the same coin). I am always in search of something I have not tried before. Living so near what use to be called the spice islands and in the middle of southeast Asia, surrounded by differing cultures and cuisines makes for a continual discovery of new flavors. Having grown up in the tropics (Hawaii), in a multi cultural environment, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was out there. That was until I showed up here - here there are dozens of fruits, veggies and spices that I have never seen before, and food items I had never imagined. It is a blur of new things to try out in the kitchen (and brewery). At first I felt a bit overwhelmed, I had no reference to many of these things- what the heck is "Bakek", and do I wanto try it in beer ? And then I stumbled across Gernot. Gernot Katzer has complied what may be the definitive web site on spices. If you are a foodie, cook, or brewer who needs answers - well, Gernot is your man. His site comprises about 10500 names for more than 100 different spices and herbs, it is in at least 30 different languages and has the names in over six scripts (including Thai, Latin, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Tamil). Each entry covers uses, family, constituents, sensory, origins, etymology, further selected readings, discussion, pictures and Gernot's thoughts on the subject (as well as a few pleasant digressions). The site is a stunner ! If you want to know more about a spice - check with Gernot

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

ps - Gernot, if you ever read this - thank you for all your help

4 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger Loren said...

Awesome! Has brewing over in Singapore given you a refreshing look at using spices in brewing? Versus the more traditional varieties that is. Always interested in seeing new and refreshing spice ideas when it come to spiced beers.

Cheers!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Fal Allen said...

Yes it has - there is a world of flavors available here that I never knew about - many of them work great in beer. There are many years of experimentation ahead !!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Masala Wallah said...

Yes, I do read it ;-)
Thanks for your encouraging remarks on my site.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Vovo Pua said...

Aloha e Fal!...James just sent over the info about how to access your site and I'm thrilled! Looks like you've got your English Professor father's genes, eh, when it comes to taking quill in hand (keyboard onto desk??). I'm off to our performance of I HATE HAMLET, but wil wallow in your words very soon. Your long-ago Hilo friend and fan.....Jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home